New York 7 febbraio. Stasera alle ore 20 statunitensi (ore 2 di domani della notte italiana) nella mitica gara newyorkese al via anche gli italiani Cristina Bonacina e Fabio Ruga…
41st Annual Empire State Building Run-Up Presented by Turkish Airlines Powered by the Challenged Athletes Foundation
Defending Champion Suzy Walsham
Returns to New York After Record-Breaking Victory in 2017
WHAT: 41st Annual Empire State Building Run-Up Presented by Turkish Airlines Powered by the Challenged Athletes Foundation
Racing up 86 floors, 1,576 steps and 1,050 feet from the lobby to the iconic 86th floor Observatory, 200-plus participants from around the world will race up to the top of the World’s Most Famous Building in the 41st Annual Empire State Building Run-Up Presented by Turkish Airlines Powered by the Challenged Athletes Foundation.
Runners will pick up their race materials at Foot Locker’s flagship property on 34th street, a tenant of Empire State Realty Trust. The oversized screen alongside the escalators in the main entrance will display a video recap of last year’s 40th anniversary race.
WHO: Professional Stair-Climbers:
- Suzy Walsham, Defending Women’s Champion (SIN): Walsham earned her fifth-straight and record-breaking eighth overall victory in the 2017 Empire State Building Run-Up with a time of 12:11.
- Cindy Harris, World’s No. 2-Ranked Tower Runner (USA): Harris took second place in the 2017 Empire State Building Run-Up with a time of 13:15. She placed third and fourth in 2016 and 2015, respectively.
- Frank Nicolas Carreño (CO): Carreño is ranked 2nd in the world.
- Alex Workman (USA): Workman is currently the top-ranked male tower runner in the United States and 20th in the world.
- Patrick Wilson, movie, television and Broadway actor, star of The Commuter
Challenged Athletes Foundation Stair-Climbers:
- Rudy Garcia-Tolson, 2x Paralympic Gold Medalist: Garcia-Tolson elected to amputate both legs above the knee at the age of five due to a rare birth defect. In 2009, he became the first double above-knee amputee to complete a full IRONMAN Triathlon.
- Brandon & Tara Butcher: Siblings Brandon and Tara, both below-knee amputees, will be participating in the Empire State Building Run-Up together. Brandon had his right leg amputated below the leg after suffering an injury while attempting to save his coworker from a fatal fall.
WHERE: Empire State Building
350 Fifth Avenue between 33rd and 34th Streets
WHEN: Wednesday, February 7, 2018
7:00 p.m. Press Check-in/Pre-race Interviews Begin
8:00 p.m. Invitational Men’s Heat
8:01 p.m. Invitational Women’s Heat
8:05 p.m. Brokers’ Challenge Heat
8:10 p.m. Celebrity and Media Heat
8:15 p.m. CAF Heat
8:30 p.m. Turkish Airlines, Lottery, NYPD, FDNY, ESRT Tenants, Employees, Investors (at 5 second intervals)
PRESS INFO: Media entrance and check-in: West 34th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues (By AT&T store)
Members of the media may choose to film/photograph the race at the start (lobby level) and finish (86th floor) OR in the stairwell on the 65th floor.Please note: It is not possible to film both the start/finish and within the stairwell. Space on the 65th floor is extremely limited; please contact UEG in advance to reserve a spot in this location.
All post-race interviews and award presentations will be on the 80th floor, to which top finishers and other notable participants will be escorted immediately after finishing the race.